Monday, 2 June 2014

Book Review- The Fearance

The Fearance (The Meskitoe Trilogy)Title: The Fearance
Author: Rob Badcock
Published: 5th Dec 2013
Pages: 467
Series: #2 Meskitoe Trilogy

Rating: 3.5/5

It is the year 2043.
A space shuttle crash-lands on Tycho, the clone planet of Mother Earth. Rib Meskitoe - one of the few survivors of Watershed - steps out to start a new life in the frontier town of Stonyville, where cowboys and cowgirls work hard and play hard, all under the stern stewardship of Marshall Amps.
Life on Tycho is strictly low-tech, on account of the mysterious force which scrambles all man-made technologies - the Fearance. Closely observed by two giant ravens, Rib is sucked into a quest for the Fearance, to an alien land of ice and fire, a violent world of berserks and blood-feuds. It is a Viking hell from which he has to escape...
A high-protein tale plotting the surreal adventures of a fifteen-year-old, The Fearance is book two of the Meskitoe trilogy.- Goodreads

This is a review of the second novel in the trilogy. To read my review of the first book click here.

I received a copy from the author in return for an honest review.

I gave the first novel in this trilogy 4/5, and this novel gets a similar rating. The only reason it loses half a star is I just didn't feel it was quite as action packed as the first novel.
This novel continues to follow Rib, this time as he travels to the planet of Tycho, a planet similar to Earth, but without the technology. The novel was quick to start, it began fast paced and the quick pace was kept up for most of the novel.
I really enjoyed the parts of the novel that was set in Stonyville, a kind-of cowboy Wild West town. I really liked the world/setting that the author had created, and i thought the characters were well fleshed out. 
I thought Rib was developed nicely in this novel, he has grown since the first novel. He was given responsibility in Stonyville, and showed his quick thinking and common sense in a number of situations throughout the novel. I also enjoyed the brief flashes we got of Rika and what she was doing back on Earth. She was definitely my favourite part of the first novel and hopefully she features more heavily in the next novel.
I liked the humour in the novel, although there were a few too many toilet jokes for my liking! However Rib's inner voice/thoughts were very amusing, he was very sarcastic! 
Really the only part of the novel that I didn't like was the part that featured the Vikings. I just simply didn't enjoy this part, I actually struggled to get through the second half of the novel because I really had no desire to read about the Vikings.
Overall I gave this novel 3.5 stars and I enjoyed reading about Rib again and seeing where his story was going. I am looking forward to seeing where the story goes from the cliff anger ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment