Friday, 5 April 2013

Book Review- Scent of Magic

Title: Scent of Magic
Author: Maria V. Snyder
Published: December 18th 2012   Publisher: Harlequin MIRA
Pages: 414
Series: Healer #2
Genre: Fantasy, Young Adult, Magic, Romance
Rating: 4.5/5
 
I won't post a blurb for this novel, because it may spoil the story for you, if you haven't read the first installment in the series.
 
I received an ebook copy of this novel from the publisher in return for an honest review.
 
I liked this book, I gave it 4.5/5 stars, and I much prefered it to the first book in the series. This novel has much more action in it, and the plot is fast paced and action packed. There is less camaraderie with the Monkeys, as they don't feature heavily in this novel, which I enjoyed a lot in thelast novel, but I got over this fact. There is a darker feeling to this novel though, more of a feeling of the danger and the threat of war that is looming. The storyline continues from the first book, hence the reason why I didn't post the blurb.
The point of view changes from Kerrick to Avery, and I quite enjoyed the split perspectives, as it allowed you to follow both storylines, and get to know the characters a little better. The only negative I found with the split P.O.V was that the author would often leave the end of the chapter as a cliffhanger, and then go to the other character's P.O.V in the following chapter. This got a little annoying because by the time I had read that chapter, I had forgotten what was going on, and it got tiring having to wait for the resolution every time.
There are a lot of twists and betrayals in this book, some I can honestly say that I didn't see coming, so beware!
There is a great diverse collection of characters in this book, and although some of the secondary characters seemed a little 1 dimensional, on the whole the characters are great.
Avry is our female protagonist, and she was just as awesome in this book as in the previous. She was still as brave, loyal, strong and kick-ass as before, and I loved this about her.
I liked the relationship between her and Kerrick, it's really cute to read about, but thankfully it doesn't take up too much of the novel.
I also enjoyed the comeback of some characters, not naming names! But really, it was great to get to read more about those characters.
The ending, oh my gosh the ending. It was so good, and so annoying! The novel ends on such a cliffhanger. I just want to read the next novel now so I can find out what happens!!!!
I would recommend this novel if you like YA fantasy novels, or are a fan of any of Snyder's other work. If you do decide to read the series though, be warned for the ending!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment