Saturday, 16 February 2013

Book Review- The Fault in Our Stars

Title: The Fault in Our Stars
Author: John Green
Published: January 10th 2012
Publisher: Dutton Books
Pages: 313
Genre: Young Adult, Romance, Contemporary

Rating: 5/5

Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 13, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumours in her lungs... for now.

Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else, too; post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means), Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumours tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault.

Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind -Goodreads

 
This is a very well known novel, withYA readers, and in the wider reading communities. I've wanted to read this novel for a long time, its been on my TBR pile on Goodreads for ages, so when my friend offered to lend it to me, I was ecstatic.
This novel lived up to my high expectations, I enjoyed it from page 1. Green's writing style is easy to read, informal and it reads just like a teenager speaks, which I think really helped get the feeling of the novel, and the characters across better.
The plot isn't exactly an "action" plot, which is what I normally choose to read, but the storyline kept me enthralled, reading about Hazel and her life was interesting on its own. Green made mundane everyday things seem really interesting to read about.
The main character is Hazel, and I really liked her. Her and Augustus were both very witty, and cracked a lot of jokes, which gave the novel a lighter tone. They were both very intelligent, and they were really fun to read about. I also really liked Isaac, who is a side character, but I thought he was really great. He was funny, really quick witted, but you also felt sorry for him too, but by the end of the novel he was one of my favourite characters. For once in a novel I really liked all the characters, even some of the smaller side characters, whom Green could have left pretty one dimensional, but he fleshed them all out well. I liked the romance between Hazel and Gus, it seemed like a realistic relationship, they were just two nerdy teenagers who happened to be battling cancer at the same time.
I enjoyed the "road-trip" aspect of the novel, although it was perhaps a little cliched, but it worked in this instance. I thought perhaps some of the themes in the book were a bit cliched for a cancer book: it being so inspiring, the characters being so optimistic and positive, and their jokes in the face of cancer, but this didn't affect my enjoyment or feelings while reading the book.
I heard that a lot of people cried while reading this book and although I didn't actually shed a tear, I did have a lump at the back of my throat when I read the ending.
Overall I really enjoyed this novel, and I would recommend it to everyone, as it is a really great read, written beautifully by Green.


Goodreads link: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/11870085-the-fault-in-our-stars
Amazon link: http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Fault-Stars-John-Green/dp/0141345659/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360613879&sr=8-1
The Book Depository link: http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Fault-Our-Stars-John-Green/9780141345659

1 comment:

  1. I haven't read this one yet but, I really want to I have heard great things about all of this books!! It also just got a director for it being made into a movie. Awesome review!!

    Kristin @ Young Adult Book Haven

    ReplyDelete